However, it is also an experience to go to the Central Market. The market is huge, it's only a 10 minute walk from my apartment, and it's open every day except Monday year round. Here, you can also find all the basic necessities of life, but more than anything it is the best place to buy fresh fruits and vegetables. If you read the book "The Geography of Bliss," then you know that although Moldova is the unhappiest place on earth according to some studies, you can find very fresh fruits and vegetables here. Although the Central Market is pretty wonderful, I can't really say I'm a big fan. I don't like the big crowds and being pushed around by babushkas. I think it would definitely be a better experience to go there knowing exactly what you want and where to find it, but right now I just wander around feeling totally overwhelmed. Also, it's a great place to go to buy in bulk, but since I'm the only one consuming this food I can't get too many fruits and vegetables or they will spoil. I saw one couple buy at least 40 bananas at one stand; I imagine that was a really good deal. They were probably going to resell them. Or they just really love bananas.
Well, here are a few pictures from the Piata Centrala. There is also an art market on the main boulevard where you can buy paintings, matroshka dolls, jewelry, and all kinds of things like that.



No comments:
Post a Comment