Wednesday, September 1, 2010

No longer afraid of the gas stove


I faced my fear of lighting the gas stove today and made scrambled eggs for breakfast and Russian pelmeni for dinner. The package of frozen pelmeni that I bought cost less than $2 and could easily feed me for a week but I would probably get very sick of them. Its not my favorite food, but its familiarty was comforting. Maybe I should try the package with the penguins on it instead of cows but I didn't know what kind of meat would be in that one. Not that I really know what kind of meat is in the ones I bought either. That's the fun of eating meat-filled things in Russia and Eastern Europe.

In other news, the weather was nice and cool today so I spent a couple of hours exploring the city and figuring out just how close I am to everything. I was pleased to discover that I am in fact very close to everywhere I might need to be because the city isn't really that big. There is also a big shopping center right across the street; I can see it from my window but didn't realize what it was until today. So I bought more food there, and they have tons of stands to buy whatever you need inside. I was just walking around without a map to see what I would run into, and I think I happened across all the universities in the city except the one I might be auditing classes at (ULIM). I'll find that and the U.S. Embassy tomorrow. I did see the Russian Embassy, and it's enormous, which was to be expected.

All of the young people I saw on the streets today were dressed up in suits and ties or dresses, and I immediately knew that this must be the first day of the new school year. My friends in Vladimir had told me they do the same thing in Russia, and everyone starts classes on the first of September. I guess the same is true in Moldova.

Anyway, I went to the main park today that's right on the main boulevard, where I live, and it was really beautiful. Here are some pictures from my wanderings today.


No comments:

Post a Comment